Appliance Safety During a Power Outage
During an outage, we recommend you:
- Unplug your sensitive equipment, such as, fax machines, microwaves, computers and televisions.
- Turn off any major appliances like washers or air conditioners if the power goes out. This will prevent them from unexpectedly coming on when the power is restored.
- Double check to make sure all heat producing appliances (stoves, toaster oven, irons and hair curlers) are also turned off. This will minimize any fire hazard if the power is restored while you are away.
- Leave one light on so you'll know when the power is restored.
- Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to help prevent food spoilage. Food in a closed freezer can stay frozen for up to two days.